Diane Spencer is comedian, actor and writer. She first performed stand-up in 2006, when living in New Zealand, and has since gone on to perform in various locations across the world from Bahrain to Belfast.
Diane debuted at the Edinburgh Comedy Festival in 2009, as part of the “Big Comedy Breakfast”, then returned with a new hour “Lost in the Mouth Specific” in 2010 performed on the PBH free fringe. This show and her early work on the UK circuit led to Diane winning the Chortle Award for Best Newcomer (2011). Since then she has written a brand new show every year, each receiving critical acclaim.
She began her career as an actress after gaining a BA Hons degree in Drama at Loughborough University and a LAMDA Gold Medal. Diane has acted in various commercials, appeared in a Japanese film ‘Climbers High’ (2010) directed by Masato Harada and received a Best Actress nomination for her role in a short 48 hrs film “Nature’s Baby” directed by Luke Wheeler. In the UK, Diane has also appeared in a comedy pilot show “The Boy with Tape on his Face” (BBC3) last year and performed in sketches for “Britain Unzipped” (BBC3).
“Diane’s sweet-natured persona, combined with a perverse, quarrelsome facade, makes her a mixture between a pleasant, ginger Alice from Wonderland and the Mad Hatter.” Fest Mag
“Diane looks like butter wouldn’t melt in her mouth, but you quickly discover she could sear the paint off your front door with her squirm-inducing tales of sexual haplessness.” Sunday Express
Click on this link to go to the Reviews page
- The New Current Woman of the Year 2013
- Top 5 Hottest Comedy Shows, Edinburgh Fringe 2012 (The Scotsman)
- Nominated Best Comedy (Emerging), Adelaide Fringe Awards 2011
- Winner: Chortle Awards 2011: Best Newcomer
- “Hottest Comedians 2010″ Londonisfunny.com
- Nominated Best Actress, 2009, 48 Hr Film Competition, Auckland heat.
- Nominated Best Female Comedian, NZ Comedy Guild 2009
- Nominated Andrew Kovacevich Cup, NZ Comedy Guild 2009
- Nominated Best Newcomer, NZ Comedy Guild, 2007
- Highly Commended Finalist, RAW Comedy Quest, Auckland 2007
- Talking head, “50 Funniest Moments of 2013″, Channel 4, Objective Scotland
- Talking head, “50 Funniest Moments of 2012″, Channel 4, Objective Scotland
- Various sketch parts “Britain Unzipped”, BBC 3
- Various sketch parts, “The Boy with Tape on his Face” (PILOT), BBC
- “A Night at the Classic”, appearing as self, TV show, Auckland NZ, dir. Josh Thomson (NZ)
- “Newsjack” Series 9, 2013, radio show produced by BBC Radio 4 Extra
- “50 Funniest Moments of 2013″, tv show produced by Objective Scotland for Channel 4
- “50 Funniest Moments of 2012″, tv show produced by Objective Scotland for Channel 4
Diane has written 5 hour long standup shows, and performed them at various festivals worldwide to international critical acclaim:
- “Hurricane Diane” (2013) solo standup show, Edinburgh Fringe Festival
- “Exquisite Bad Taste”(2012) solo standup show, Edinburgh Fringe Festival, Leicester Comedy Festival 2012
- “All-Pervading Madness” (2011) solo standup show, Edinburgh Fringe Festival, Adelaide Fringe Festival, Melbourne Comedy Festival
- “Lost in the Mouth Specific” (2010), Solo standup show, Edinburgh Fringe Festival, Adelaide Fringe Festival, Melbourne Comedy Festival, Sydney Comedy Festival, New Zealand International Comedy Festival
- “TamPomPom” (2009), Solo standup show, NZ International Comedy Festival
- “Spam Pig!” (2008), standup show written and performed with Vaughan King, NZ International Comedy Festival 2008
- Raw Comedy Quest, Highly Commended Finalist, NZ International Comedy Festival 2007
Download Diane’s CV by clicking on the Word Document icon.
To get in touch, contact us at info at difunny.com.